Sunday, June 6, 2010

Angelo

Anglelo has been part of our family now for 8 years.

Mum bought him as a foal and I do believe it really was a heart over head situation.
He has been trouble ever since.
When the vet came to geld him we had to lie on top of him to keep him still, even though he had more sedative than a thoroughbred yearling.
He is such a scamp and really he should have been called Houdini as he can get out of any field,(I have a theory that he can flatten himself like a mouse)
He has survived no end of scrapes, the worse being when our whole family went to Scotland for my brothers wedding and we had to rely on a neighbour to keep an eye on the horses.
I was gone 4 days, the rest of the family stayed on longer and I arrived home to find Angelo lying in the mud with wire wrapped around his leg and at least 1 1/2 inches of bone showing.
I couldnt get him out and had to run for a farmer neighbour(not the same neighbour) to come help me and stay with him while I went for Wesley(the vet)
The guys relesed poor Angelo and carried him up to the small paddock closest to the house. I was sure Wes would say "sorry Julie we will have to shoot him" but no he said "sure we'll give him a chance"
There was a 1/2 centimeter of flesh and some tendons left joined at the back and 5 times a day we had to wash and spray the wound with the magic blue and silver spray.
Hes as good as new now except for a granulated scar......unbelievable!!!
He has been likened in looks to David Beckham because of his sticky up blond streaked mane.
 He really is a sweet pony but
he has to be rehomed because Mum and Dad are finding the place to much for them and so are downsizing somewhere closer to town.

Casper(the welsh mountain pony) has gone to live with a friend of mine who has broken him to a trap and we are still waiting to find some one for my wonderful old man Mack (now known as Big Mack or it gets quite confusing)

Big Mack has always been a gentleman, even though he was abused and in awful condition when we got him over 10 years ago, he never held a grudge and is as gentle and sweet as any horse I have met. He is now estimated at somewhere between 25 and 29years of age and is still a handsome devil......who wouldnt name there son after such an animal.

I went up to say goodbye today and took the pictures then on the way home Mack spotted this thrush gathering worms for his/her babies.


No comments:

Post a Comment