Caitlin Mack and I are Rabbit sitting for some friends of ours.
I first heard about this rabbit when my friend rang from the pet shop to say that her kids had their eye on one particular lively specimen,but the proviso was if I would "sit" while they were on holidays etc, I was quite happy to say yes (its always easy when someone else is holding the purse strings I find) My kids had been on about a rabbit for ages ....It seemed win win... no hassle ...no cost....excellent.
Well yes...lively ....why had I not zoned in on that at the time????
In my experience if you want a small pet, ie rabbit, guinea pig, hamster for a small child to cuddle and sit with on laps etc then lively is not the way to go.....puppys yes..kittens,no problem lively is exsactly what you are loooking for but what generally happens with the smaller caged pets when they are lively is the end up just that......caged and the child is afraid to hold it or cuddle it for fear of being bitten or dropping the struggling creature....
Of course this is just my opinion, but in my lifetime I have had or have dogs, cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, a mouse, fish, stick insects, a horse, a pony, and a goat.
So picture the scene......
The rabbit had been let out to play around the house for a small while (yes indoor rabbit.... )and the kids had finished playing with it after 5 mins when they realised it didnt like being cuddled and gone off to find the x box.
This leaves me and the rabbit which was grand ..I read my book for a small while then realised I had some housework to do so went about catching him so we could go home...........5 mins or so later I enlisted the help of the kids.........we tried leaving a trail of celery (his fav) we tried cornering him ..we tried everything I could think of ...eventually we had him cornered and I caught him by the scruff of the neck....opened the cage door to put him in when,.... cartoon style he planted all four feet around the edge of the opening..I one by one peeled each foot away only to have it put back again as I reached for the next one, in my head now the rabbit is being called all sorts but between us we managed to get him in and the door shut..........phew!!!
On the way home Mack said "Mam can we have a rabbit they are great fun"
Cait and I looked at each other "NO" we both said at excactly the same time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment